Sunday, January 25, 2015

Luke Johnson on business black-tie dinners

In his Management Today column in the November 2014 issue, Luke Johnson has this entertaining take on business black-tie dinners:


"When are business black-tie dinners going to be consigned to history? They are a tedious anachronism and should be banned. I'm sure most participants find them a bore, but feel obliged to show up. Of course, I only have myself to blame for attending them: no one is really obliged to go. All too often I fail to obey what I call Albert's law of invitations: never accept an event months ahead unless you'd be happy to go to it tonight. Somehow these occasions seem more fun in the distant future, so, without thinking, I say yes. But by the time the date rolls around, they are nothing but a chore".